Sunday, July 21, 2013

Happy Match Day!

Happy Match Day Abigail!
In July 2010, Larry and I mailed our dossier to our agency and then went to Pittsburgh with my brother Jim and sister-in-law Steph where we joined up with my Dad to bicycle ride from Pittsburgh to Washington DC, an adventure item on my Dad's bucket list that we were loathe to let him do alone.  The 2 days on the Great Allegheny Passage Trail was pretty great biking (as far as biking goes), but after 2 days on the C&O Towpath we were all feeling tired and ready to be done.  Then on July 21st, in a hotel room in Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, as the 5 of us filled ourselves with take-out pizza and free iced coffee, we got a phone call from our agency.  The woman on the line asked why we had not responded to the child's file we were sent weeks ago since it was about to be sent back.  I told her that we never received such a file.  (We had received a very flippant voice mail about 10 days earlier saying "This is so-and-so from CCAI.  Call me back when you get a chance" but all returned calls went straight to her vacation voice mail.)



A few minutes later we were all staring at the tiny pictures on Larry's ipod of our daughter.  
I didn't sleep that night.  I don't know if it was all the coffee or my new daughter!


2 comments:

  1. Happy Match Day!

    I remember all of the excitement that night...which was a lot considering how tired all of our bodies were!

    In another decade or two you should consider doing that trip again, this time with Abigail, to commemorate the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was Jim, btw. I don't know why it posted my identity as cc62a7ec-f201-11e2-b64d-000bcdca4d7a....

      Delete