Saturday, February 21, 2015

Look for this series of events on the next bad-parent lame sit-com!

Joseph really outdid himself today during his first speech therapy session with his therapist.

This little guy looks stinkin' cute, right?


























Looks can be deceiving.

Joseph qualified for Early Intervention Speech Therapy, so that means that the speech therapist comes to our house twice per month and works with us as parents to work with Joseph and gives us "assignments" to work on with him until next session.  

Yesterday's session started with a bowl of water, a pile of cotton balls and straws so that Joseph could learn to blow air out properly through play and games.  It ended with a kind therapist gathering her things as quickly as possible and dashing for her car as a broken-hearted 2 year old sobbed alligator tears while 90% naked.

Here is what happened in-between:

  • Joseph thought that throwing the cotton balls at the therapist and screaming was more fun than her game
  • Joseph spilled most of the water all over himself and wanted dry clothes
  • Joseph did not like the clothes I brought downstairs for him (even though they were his favorites 3 days ago) and would only cooperate with any requests if he was naked except for his diaper
  • While the therapist was trying to give Larry and I some instruction, Joseph was insistent that he had to "oop" so I excused myself for a 2nd time and took him to the bathroom where he peed a few drops and demanded M&Ms for the huge effort of it all
  • Joseph raced back to the therapist (yes, a literal race which began with a "reddy, et, ooooo!!") and then he wanted to hug her and sit on her (while only diaper clad).  
  • He then began tugging at my arm (while I was trying to talk to the therapist) insisting "um on."  I excused myself a 3rd time and I followed him up the stairs where his "come on" lead me to discover that he wanted to wear "unts" or "underpants."  I told him "not right now" and raced back downstairs.
  • While trying to talk to the therapist again, we heard Joseph in the hallway and tried to call him back to us.  He wouldn't come, so I excused myself a 4th time to find him in the hallway completely naked and very proud of himself.  (The DC area broke several century-old low-temperature records today and yesterday, but apparently naked was the way to go with balmy single digit temps.)  So, I put him on the potty where he peed a decent amount and put this "unts" on him.
  • An underoo-clad toddler re-entered the scene as the therapist was trying to explain the usual progression of sound development and then he quickly left again.
  • The underoo-clad tot reappeared in the 2nd floor office loft above the living room and then peed all over the carpet.  
  • The rest is a blur of the therapist trying to assure me that this is all normal boy behavior Larry rushing for a pile of towels, and her rushing for the door!
*sigh*

1 comment: