Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Firefly Frolic: a 1.6k run

For the month of July, Abigail trained for the Firefly Frolic, a 1-mile trail run in the dark that is an event for kids by our parks and rec department in town.  By "trained" I mean that she ran a 0.89 mile loop with me about 8 times before race day.  

The race was to begin at 8:30, so Abigail made sure to carbo-load for dinner.  She learned this from her Aunt Mary Jane. :)


Joseph LOVES to have his picture taken.
I cannot raise a camera without
Joseph jumping in front of the lens.  

With a headlamp and flashlight, she
was ready for the race!


























At about 8:20, she complained that it was still "too light" outside.  

At 8:28 she confirmed that she really REALLY wanted me to run with her because she loves me and doesn't want to do stuff without me.  (Heck, this won't last forever, so I'll take it.)

At 8:30, the horn sounded for the start.  Abigail stood at the starting line and adjusted her head lamp for a while, before starting off.  We jogged around a field and then into the woods. The trail was covered in roots and rocks in places and it was, in fact, very dark.  It was so beautiful to look into the woods in the darkness because parks and rec hung yellow glow sticks from trees to line the whole trail.  It was a very cool atmosphere, but watch out, because kids were tripping on roots and going down all over the place.  Abigail just passed them and didn't break her stride.  Kids stopped to grab the stitch in their sides or walk and Abigail just passed them too.  From behind, I watched her silhouette, illuminated by her light, running in the darkness, pigtails bouncing.  She is such a beautiful runner.  Her form is graceful and athletic and perfect.  I could watch her run forever.

But I didn't get to, because she finished her mile run (over uneven terrain) in 11:01.  She was proud of herself for not stopping and as soon as we finished the race, she begged to go do it again.  She didn't care about the end-of-race snacks, all she wanted was to run in the dark with the glow sticks again.

Next year, Buddy.  I hope we can do it again next year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment