Saturday, May 21, 2016

All things are good in moderation, including rain

The weatherperson on the news said that this is our 5th straight weekend with rain and, on this 21st day of the month, we are having our 18th day of rain this month.  The high today, in the last third of May in Virginia, is 55 degrees.  It feels like the school year is never going to end, perhaps because we don't finish until June 16th, but also, perhaps, because it feels like early March and I am still teaching in sweaters and closed shoes, not cute tops and sandals.

We push the kids outside to play in-between rainy times, but often all they can do is ride bikes on the driveway because the yard is a muddy mess.

I love rain.  I could appreciate and be happy with rain 1 or 2 times per week.  It means that I have to drag out the hose and water the gardens less.  It means soft green grass.  It means puddles that kids can jump into and cuddly times inside doing inside things together.  I am worried that once this rainy season finally ends, we won't see rain the rest of the summer as our grass turns brown and crunchy and I am hosing down the plants every other day.

Moderation.

Anyhow, enough complaints about the weather.  I promise I won't complain when it is too hot.

The picture below was taken yesterday, on one of our 3 dry days.
Can you find the bookworm?

Hint:  the bookworm is not the little guy on the right


















There she is:

Juney B Jones wasn't around when I was
this age, but I know I did read in trees a lot.
I love this girl!!






No comments:

Post a Comment