Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Joseph's Summer of Growing Up, Part 1

It was a pleasant morning in June and the kids were riding bikes and other riding things on the driveway as they often do on pleasant mornings. Larry and I had been bugging Joseph about relinquishing his training wheels for a while, especially since he could ride his balance bike down a hill while weaving between two rows of trees, over a driveway, and into a drainage ditch without issues.  

On this particular morning, Joseph said that he was ready to take off his training wheels.  I said okay, buddy, let me go get some shoes on and I'll help you. I went inside and when I returned to the scene a minute or two later, Joseph had already obtained a crescent wrench, removed his left training wheel, and stored it on a shelf. I didn't even know he knew what tool to use for such a job, much less how to use it properly!  The right wheel was on a bit harder, so I helped him with that.  

Then he hopped on his bike and started to go.

That was it.


By the next morning, he was standing and pedaling and turning.  A few days later he was confident enough to ride to a local playground a mile away.

I don't know if I am more proud of the bike riding or the wrench usage.





Video here:  Link to YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment